Friday, March 8, 2013

Flaunting my Flaw



If you have read our About Us (if you haven’t,  get on that ASAP) then you will see that something I've

( Jacqueline) always thought  as a flaw is my naturally curly hair. Which is exactly what this post is all about to change. As you can tell if you read Our Mission, our main focus of FyF is learning to take the things you consider your flaw and turn it into something you love. In our opinion  the first step in doing that is saying it out loud and being confident in yourself enough to admit that to others. Those others include girls, who will also be doing the same thing, which  creates a mutual understanding and comfort, that instantly gives you something in common and maybe even an opportunity to help each other as girls… catch my drift?So I will start  by writing about my life-long struggle with curly hair. Hopefully, there is someone else out there who can relate.

You really don’t know hair chaos until you have curly hair. It isn't just styling when trying to manipulate curls to do what you want them to do, its an art form.It’s safe to say since middle school I have been emotionally attached to my flat iron.

Any straightening serum, shampoo, gel, etc… I have tried it. I've watched endless videos trying to get my hair to stay straight, read hundreds of articles on professional straightening treatments, and cried the day my flat iron broke and was forced to wear my hair curly.

When I did occasionally let the wild curls out I would get asked if I got a perm. That question would brighten my day knowing I had successfully convinced people my hair was naturally straight.
After years of straightening my hair, I haven’t touched my flat iron in 3 weeks all because of FyF. It was a challenge for myself to see if I could embrace the one thing that really bothers me and learn to love it. It proved successful in making me feel 200 times more confident. When I finally straightened my hair, a miracle happened and I missed my unpredictable curls.  

Here are some tips that I did in trying to control the chaos…

1.   Research- It’s embarrassing the amount of hours I've clocked in watching hair tutorials, reading about products, and stalking celebrities with curls. But, it pays off. My top products are Deva Curl anything, Moroccan Defining Curl Cream, and Frizz-Ease leave in conditioner.There isn't one tutorial in particular that has really influenced me. Basically… every curl is different, so you need to experiment yourself.
         
2.Not touching my flat iron for 3 weeks and convincing myself enough to pretend I loved it, until I really did love it. Sometimes to help in this process I would look around and notice that wayyy more people had straight hair than curly. It is refreshing to realize your hair might stand out in a crowd (in a good way!)


3.Trying new things- luckily, drugstores and most salons let you do product swapping if you don’t like what you bought. CVS has long ago figured out I've been going home trying a product and returning an hour later to try a new one. It really is the best way to see what works for your hair.    
      
4.Portion sizing- Too little product and too much product can drastically change how your hair looks. Start with less then add more. Once a hair dresser told me to make a potion of conditioner and shampoo in the shower. Use 75% conditioner and 25% shampoo, it surprisingly doesn't make my hair greasy and makes it softer.
   
5. If all else fails, buy a curl wand. Actually, buy one anyway. They are amazing. Randomly there will be one or two curls that are straight or doing the exact opposite of every other curl in my hair, using a curl wand to touch it up takes a minute and lasts all day.
   
6.Lastly, I will show you some gorgeous curly haired celebrities for inspiration that I look at when I’m reaching for my flat iron.
I’m not a hair dresser or curly hair genius, but those are some tips I have picked up along the way that could help others in my position.












So, that’s it. I have admitted my “flaw” and it’s a work in progress, but I try to flaunt it every day. I highly encourage you to do the same. You would be surprised how much better you feel when you learn to embrace something you've always hidden. Fear is to blame for not doing this most of the time, but how cool is it to say you conquer one of your fears every day by just flaunting your flaw?

This is my #FlauntitFriday post…but, what about you? Tell us! If you want to write a post about the flaw your flaunting we would be happy to publish it for you on here!

2 comments:

  1. I happen to have always been jealous of your curly hair. Mine is usually flat, straight, or wavy on one side. I have learned though that most of the time what we feel is a flaw about ourselves, is what others love about us. I LOVE your curly hair. Also, its human nature to almost always want what you don't have. I have been guilty of that in a number of ways. Recently however I have been trying my very best to love my flaws too. When you do you realize that all along the only person who didn't like your flaw was you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you! Thanks for commenting Becca :) It's the truth what your saying and that's what this is all about...We really hope more girls are doing what your doing and look at the blog! (maybe even comment too...haha)Your a beautiful girl, thank you for being involved with all this!

    ReplyDelete